A set of 7 promotional radio shows promoting the VISTA government program and featuring Lesley Gore.
Offered for sale is what is believed to be a complete set of Voices of Vista radio shows that included material by Lesley Gore – 7 albums in all.
VISTA, or Volunteers in Service to America, was an anti-poverty program created in 1965 by President Lydon Johnson. In order to promote this government program, a radio series called Voices of Vista was created.
Most of the shows in the series featured anywhere from two to six artists, and radio programmers were expected to play individual portions of the album on a schedule that suited them and their programming, rather than playing the LP in its entirety.
In fact, you couldn’t play the album in its entirety, as each track had a “locked groove” that prevented the next track from playing automatically. You had to move the tonearm to play the next track.
There are likely several hundred different discs in the entire Voices of Vista series; as far as we know, there are only seven that include Lesley Gore. Each of the shows listed below has a segment featuring Lesley introducing the segment and saying goodby at the end, along with a track in the middle and a short interview with host Herb Oscar Anderson and a VISTA volunteer.
About this set:
The Voices of Vista series was issued without covers; each of the albums listed below comes in a plain white cover. The LPs and artists featured in this set are:
- #20/20ABC Ethel Ennis (full side)/ Lesley Gore, Damita Jo, Morocco (one track each) – Lesley Sings “No Matter What You Do.” Record is VG++ with slight sleeve scuffs.
- #36 Frank Poretta (full side)/ Lesley Gore, Bobby Vinton, Wild Ones (one track each). Lesley sings “I Don’t Care.” Record is VG++ with slight sleeve scuffs.
- #57 – Ray McKinley (full side)/Jack Jones, Lesley Gore, Paul Revere and the Raiders (one track each). Lesley sings “No Matter What You Do.” Record is VG+, with numerous sleeve scuffs
- #68ABC/69ABC – Temptations, Lesley Gore, The Cyrkle (one track each)/ Tradewinds, Tommy Roe, Trini Lopez (one track each). Lesley Sings “California Nights.” Record is VG- with numerous marks and writing on both labels.
- #70ABC/71ABC – Bobby Darin, Lesley Gore, The Byrds (one track each)/ Herb Oscar Anderson, Tommy James and the Shondells, The Turtles (one track each). Lesley sings “I’m Going Out (the Way I Came In.) Record is M-
- #87ABC/88ABC – Temptations, Lesley Gore, Billy Joe Royal (one track each)/ The Cyrkle, Leslie Miller, The Byrds. Lesley sings “Summer and Sandy.” Record is VG++ and very close to M-, with just a few sleeve marks.
- #94ABC/95ABC The Critters, Leslie Miller, The Cyrkle (one track each)/ Four Seasons, Leslie Gore, Tommy Roe. Lesley sings “I’m Fallin’ Down.) Record is VG++ on the side with Lesley Gore, with a few sleeve scuffs. The other side is VG, with several scratches
A nice copy of a hard to find set.
- Country of origin:
- Record Label:
- Voices of Vista
- Catalog Number:
- Year of Release:
- Share this: