Offered for sale is a still sealed 9 disc test pressing box set of The Royal Ballet Gala Performances, by Ernest Ansermet and the Royal Opera House Orchestra, pressed by Classic Records on 200 gram Clarity vinyl, cut at 45 RPM for maximum fidelity.
When Classic Records issued this set on Clarity Vinyl in 2010, they set aside 29 complete test pressing sets and numbered them individually from 1 to 29. These were kept by Michael Hobson, the company’s founder.
This test pressing box is copy number 1 of those numbered sets and comes with a signed card that attests that it came from Hobson’s personal collection.
About this copy: The copy of The Royal Ballet Gala Performances listed here is a test pressing of the final release of this title from Classic Records, issued in 2010.
This is a nine record set, cut at 45 RPM for optimum sound quality and pressed on single-sided, 200 gram Clarity vinyl.
Previous issues were pressed on 180 gram black vinyl and 200 gram black vinyl, but the final pressing was released on their improved Clarity vinyl, which was more or less clear in appearance.
This copy was issued in the more common red box and has a white “obi” around the outside of the box that says, “Classic Records Clarity Vinyl 45 RPM Series.”
The box is still sealed in the original shrink wrap; the records are presumably new and unplayed (and should be individually sealed inside the box.) There is a sticker on the shrink wrap that says “Classic Records 200 gram Clarity SV-P II Super Vinyl Profile.”
The wrap is fully intact with no rips, tears, or holes. There is a a sticker on the back that says, “Classic Records Limited Edition 1 of 29.”
There is also a card attached to the back, signed by Classic Records owner/founder Michael Hobson, attesting to the fact that this particular copy came from his personal collection.”
A beautiful copy of an album that is absolutely stunning to hear and a copy that will absolutely be your final upgrade.
Note to non-U.S. customers: This package can only be insured against loss if you choose Global Express Guaranteed (GXG) shipping. Please choose that shipping method at checkout.
Background: During their fifteen years or so of pressing high quality records for the audiophile market, Classic Records released a number of highly regarded and collectible releases.
None, however, are as eagerly sought out by audiophiles as their issue of The Royal Ballet Gala Performances. Recorded in 1957 (or 1959; sources vary) and engineered by the legendary Kenneth Wilkinson, The Royal Ballet was originally released by RCA Records as a double album, catalog number LDS-6065.
This title is perhaps the rarest of all the classical Living Stereo titles ever released by RCA and is certainly the most expensive, with mint copies often selling for as much as $5000. Once you’ve heard the recording, however, you’ll understand why. One reviewer called it “the stuff of which dreams are made.”
Yes, it’s that good.
From another review at Audiophilia Magazine online: The recorded sound is simply amazing! Lustrous is one word that comes to mind, accurate is another. Woodwind and strings glow and resonate, transporting this listener to a time when simpler recording was better. Brass ring out thrillingly and percussion effects are very musical.
Classic Records released The Royal Ballet Gala Performances a number of times, with pressings at both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM and record weights of both 180 and 200 grams. These pressings were mastered by legendary mastering engineer Bernie Grundman.
1. Nutcracker Suite – March
2. Nutcracker Suite – Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
3. Nutcracker Suite – Arabian Dance
4. Nutcracker Suite – Chinese Dance
5. Nutcracker Suite – Dance Of The Toy Flutes
6. Nutcracker Suite – Waltz Of The Flowers
7. La Boutique Fantasque – Tarantella
8. La Boutique Fantasque – Andante Mosso
9. La Boutique Fantasque – Can-Can
10. Coppelia – Introduction (Allegro Marcato) And Mazurka – Act 1
11. Coppelia – Introduction (Andante ) And Waltz – Act 1
12. Coppelia – Czardas – Act 1
13. Coppelia – Valse De La Poupee – Act 2
14. Giselle – Introduction And Waltz – Act 1
15. Giselle – Pas De Deux And Variation – Act 2
1. Swan Lake – Dance Of The Little Swans (Pas De Quatre) – Act 2
2. Swan Lake – Pas De Deux – Act 2
3. Swan Lake – Waltz – Act 2
4. Carnaval – Pierror
5. Carnaval – Reconnaissance
6. Carnaval – Aveu
7. Carnaval – Pantalon Et Columbine
8. Sleeping Beauty – Introduction – The Lilac Fairy – Prologue
9. Sleeping Beauty – Rose Adagio – Pase D’Action – Act 1
10. Sleeping Beauty – Waltz – Act 1
11. Les Sylphides – Overture: Prelude In A Major, Opus 28, No. 7
12. Les Sylphides – Mazurka In C Major, Opus 67, No. 3
13. Les Sylphides – Grande Valse Brillante In E Flat Major, Opus 18
This record is eligible for PayPal Credit financing by PayPal. U.S. customers may choose to pay later at checkout, and may receive up to six months financing with no interest (conditions apply.) Click the banner below for more information. (opens in a popup window)
|Country of origin:||U.S.|
|Record Label:||RCA/Classic Records|
|Year of Release:||2010|